Sunday, March 27, 2011

I Finally Did It!

I made ROLLS!  With a some help from Chris and my mom's roll recipe in hand I sure that I was going to make the best rolls ever...
I wish I could say that they turned out just the way my mom makes them. They looked perfect and they tasted perfect...but that would be a lie... :( However I did succeed on one account!! 
The recipe to make these rolls, was probably the most involved recipe I have ever done. Not because I hadn't worked with the ingredients before, I had used them all except one. However there were all these tips my mom gave me to make it turn out great just like hers. So I was being extremely careful to make sure I was doing everything correctly!
This is what the dough looked like after we  had mixed it. It looks pretty good right? Back up a few steps. After I did the first step which included adding the yeast, we waited for it to start growing and then started adding the other ingredients. It wasn't until after we started kneading the dough did Chris realize the we forgot to add the eggs. That meant that we had to add them but with it more flour. So the dough in my eyes was already ruined, but we decided to press on and finish them. So even though this dough looks right, on the inside we knew that we had put too much flour in them. SO I pinched the dough out into rolls and waited for them to raise.
 And they did rise...just in the wrong direction. Instead of rising up they rose out! So we had flat rolls!
 But in the end, they browned really well, and they tasted even better (I ate 4 and Chris ate 5) although they were denser then traditional rolls. Next time I will remember to add the eggs and not as much flour! In the meantime we will enjoy eating our flat rolls!!

3 comments:

  1. Rebecca, i love Rolls. They look so good. A roll any shape and size is all good. Jon

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband praises his mother's rolls (well all of her baked goods actually), we have them all the time at my sister-in-law's. Apparently it took her 4 years to finally get it right! So don't worry, you'll get them one day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are brave...I have only tried a pizza dough which was a complete disaster and venturing into the world of homemade rolls is just too daunting at the moment. Glad they were tasty, even if they were a bit vertically challenged.

    ReplyDelete